Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Bake
Yes, I know its been 9 days since I've posted a recipe but the creative juices just weren't flowin! Ya hear me? I mean it really takes some creative inspiration to come up with these recipes and really execute well so I have to do it when I'm in the zone. And well today, friends I'm back in the zone!
So here you have it a breakfast bake. I love bakes for breakfast. I love carbs in the morning and I LOVE blueberries. So the two recipes I came up with today were both blueberry - go figure! BUT they are out of this world and I think you're really going to enjoy them!
For this recipe you can really swap out to make it fully paleo or vegan and I'll give you some variations in the ingredients list. Its very simple and however way you decide to spin it, I'm sure it will turn out to be bomb.
This bake has a sweet and cakey vibe but then add in the lemon curd and.......daaaannnnggg. Legit! I decided to add the curd last minute then decided to stack it and make it a double decker delight with the custard in between. I wanted to destroy this while I was taking the picture! So, however way to decide to make this, it will rock your taste buds.
Let's get started with the ingredients.
- 2 cups organic blueberries (I used wild frozen blueberries that came in both big and small sizes frozen)
- 2 organic lemons
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup gluten free whole grain oats (can sub for almond flour here to make paleo)
- 1/2 cup (gluten free flour from Trader Joes - its a mix of tapioca, brown rice and potato) a
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional) I used for added protein
- 1 egg (sub for flax egg to make vegan)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flax milk
Lemon Curd: (makes about a cup )
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey (for vegan sub for maple syrup)
- 1 fresh squeezed lemon juice from lemon
Directions for curd:
- Whisk egg, coconut oil, honey and lemon. Add to micro for about 1 minute until cooked. Whisk again until smooth. Refrigerate for about 10-15 minutes. Whisk and add as topping.
Direction for Bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix frozen or fresh blueberries into a bowl and add 1/4 cup coconut sugar and 1 freshly squeezed lemon. Let set aside until thawed and mix well to ensure the juices are marinating with the blueberries.
- In a blender or food processor mix the following: oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, applesauce, 1/4 cup coconut sugar, chia, hemp and mix well. Add egg and flax milk and continue mixing until smooth.
- Grease bottom of 8x8 glass baking dish. Pour in 1/2 of the blueberry mixture. Layer on the batter. Top with remaining blueberries even distributed on the top of the bake.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for approx 5-10 minutes. top with lemon curd.
I hope you enjoy! Tag me if you make it! I love seeing your variations!