Savory Plant Based Bowl Ideas
Bowls as you probably know by now, if you follow me on social media, are a favorite and huge staple in my diet. I think I just love them because I really got into the macrobiotic diet a few years ago and really liked the structure and bowls were a huge thing. I find it really easy to get creative a piece meals together in a very nutrient dense way!
Whether we are talking a sweet smoothie bowl, to a savory lunch or dinner bowl, burrito bowl, breakfast bowl, to a bowl of ice cream, I love bowls! Oh, and I love cereal too and that's also served in a bowl so there are many options! The easiest part about bowls is you can just throw stuff in until it tastes good. I rarely prepare everything all in one night, its usually done in bulk where I can to save time. For instance, in a savory lunch or dinner bowl I'd make ahead a huge batch of rice, or barley, are millet, or farro and just have it on hand all week to add to anything. These are considered whole grains and slow digesting, fibrous foods with a low glycemic index so they are great for the digestive system and great for weight loss and/or weight maintenance.
The second thing I may already have on hand is the protein. Since I generally do 70% of my meals vegan or plant based I will have things like marinated or cooked tofu, black beans, chickpeas, tempeh or etc. already cooked ahead and available to eat at anytime. I'd choose my grain, choose my protein and maybe just for that particular night saute up some veggies. Maybe they are leftovers, maybe they are whatever I'm craving but that's how I like it. I don't like too many pre-made things - especially veggies because I never know what I'm in the mood for and I like to have options!
For this particular bowl, I've started with brown rice as the first layer for my whole grain, For the protein I've added baked chickpeas which add a little crunch and some really nice flavor. For the veggie, I added what I was craving that night so I saute'd what I had in the fridge and voila, a healthy well-balanced bowl in under 20 minutes!
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup sauteed broccoli
- 1/4 cup baked chickpeas
- 1 cup sauteed spinach
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup sauteed peppers
- Cook brown rice beforehand and save in a large batch for 3-4 days. Bring 4-6 cups of water to a boil with a tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp sea salt. Add 2-3 cups of rinsed brown rice. Bring to boil then reduce heat and let simmer for approx 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Rinse 1 can of organic chickpeas with water. Let set in colander until water is removed. Lay out flat on baking sheet. Coat with 1-2 tbsp olive or grape seed oil (or preferred oil), 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp paprika & 1 tsp pepper. Bake at 350 for approx 10-15 min or until slightly browned.
- Add 1 tbsp grape seed, olive or preferred oil to stove top pan. Add chopped broccoli, chopped or sliced peppers and let saute for approx 5-8 minutes and add splash of rice vinegar. Add in spinach and saute with 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, dash of sesame seeds and pinch of garlic and another light splash of rice vinegar. Saute for approx 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Layer bowl with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of brown rice, add sauteed veggies and roasted chickpeas. Top with sprinkle of sesame seeds.
I hope you enjoy! If you like the bowl ideas comment below if you want to see more bowl recipes! Also remember to follow me on Instagram @AngieReneeFitLife for more daily recipes and meal prep Insta Stories!