Gut Healthy Dal with Grain Free "Naan" bread
So first, let me just clarify what Dal is. If you use the Google machine it says, "al (also spelled daal, dail, dhal, dahl; pronunciation: [d̪aːl]) is a term used in the Indian subcontinent for dried, split pulses (legumes) (that is, lentils, peas, and beans). The term is also used for various soups prepared from these pulses." Hopefully this is a helpful little lesson on Indian food if you weren't aware!
Ok, you guys I may have made one of the most amazing lentil recipes yet for me and my fam! We're on day 3 now and its a huge hit and SO filling! Usually my husband needs meat in addition to anything vegan I make but this time he's loving it as much as I do! I also paired it with some delicious grain free, naan bread! Ok, so my husband calls them pancakes but they are much more dense and I cut them into quarters and served them with the dal and my, oh my they are fantastic! I consider them a mix taste-wise between corn bread, a pancake, and bread. My husband just says they are pancakes but you be the judge! Either way, they add to the texture, and keep this recipe grain free, dairy free, gluten free, and all the other buzz words. AND they are natural meaning made with REAL FOOD!
So first I got the inspo for the dal by reading more and learning more about gut health in my nutrition program and also through side reading and studies it just makes so much sense to have our whole family eating the same way. My husband loves his meat and doesn't eat enough veggies or plant based meals so I find it to be my job to be the one to provide these foods to my family to keep the gut healthy.
Fist I started the crock pot, now again you don't have to use a crock pot but I like it because I can start in the morning and let it set all day or a half day and not have to worry about it. I just dump in all the ingredients and let it cook. Voila - so easy!
Next, I started creating the "naan" bread. This recipe was SUPER easy and I used what I already had! There are tons of recipes out there for paleo or gluten free tortillas but depending on what flour you have it can vary! The basics are choose a flour (I used a variety of chickpea, tapioca, gluten free flour mix and almond flour) + sea salt + eggs and nut milk (I used flax milk) and done. Well almost! The hardest part is getting the "pancake" to come out without breaking and evenly brown - without burning. There's definitely a technique and it takes practice! And the right oil helps to ensure they cook fast, evenly and don't overcook!
Once you have that done, let them cool on parchment paper or in my case it was a cutting board because I didn't have anything else!
Now, getting back to the crock pot lets start to add the ingredients! I first started by cutting and chopping evetying on the cutting board so I can just easily add them in!
- 1 container organic low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 bag of red lentils
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 organic carrots (chopped)
- 4 fresh basil leaves (Chopped)
- 1 can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Ginger Paste
- Dump all ingredients into crock pot and set on high for 4-6 hours or until done. Lentils should be softened, broken up and look stew-like.
- For the grain-free "naan" bread below are the ingredients.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flax milk
- 1-2 tbsp sesame oil
- Mix all of the above ingredients and scoop out approx 1/2 and pour into warm pan coated with a high burning oil (I used sesame oil).
- Pour into pan and let it coat the pan until it starts to bubble. Let it cook for about 2 minutes and test the edges to see if the cake looks like it will peel up easily without breaking. Carefully scoop out the cake with a spatula and flip to cook the opposite side. Let it cook for approx 2 min or until lightly golden brown.
On a side note, I'm going to be adding a video of how I put this together and will share it in a link in the post as soon as its updated on IGTV! In the meantime, feel free to follow me on Instagram to get real time updates @AngieReneeFitLife!